Monday, January 17, 2011

Nothing Creative

I was backtracking and looking at the numerous other blogs I've had in my life.  It makes me feel boring now because my xanga/blogs used to be so interesting.  Is this what happens when you get older? Well, nevertheless, I've been able to slow down in life and I'm enjoying it a lot. Maybe that's a tradeoff for being less busy. I'm starting to realize that busyness in my life is just not good at all. This Sunday, I was reminded in the sermon that when we're busy, God cannot use us because we're not available.  I'm sure that God has used me in the past decade, but I'm wondering if God had something else he wanted me to do sometime in these past few years and he didn't bother to use me because I was too busy.  Too busy with school, too busy running, doing programs, eating, too busy trying to keep up with every single one of my friends that I've ever met in my life.

What I've noticed lately is that for the first time in awhile I haven't felt on edge when I'm driving. Maybe it's the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" chapter I read on using your driving time to relax rather than getting angry at the selfish and arrogant drivers around.  People who drive slowly need more credit you know? I used to give dirty looks to anyone who would tail my car and then speed past like they were so important.  It would make me so angry. Sometimes I'd just have to try to breathe deeply, other days I would press my finger on an imaginary button on the steering wheel and imagine that the car that wronged me would blow up. I learned that method from a guy in college.

I am extremely thankful because last month (December) my grandma after many many years somehow taught me how to knit.  I know everyone is learning to knit now and it shouldn't seem that hard, but when I was little Mama tried to teach me multiple times and I got so frustrated and she got so frustrated that she taught me how to crochet instead.   Priscilla was smart so of course she learned to knit, but man it probably has been 15+ years since Mama last taught me and just last month, dream became reality!

My other praise to the Lord is that just yesterday I learned how to crochet this one difficult stitch that I thought Mama would never be able to teach me.  After Yeye passed away I have really realized that I can't take people especially my grandma for granted. So when I have time, I love to visit her and I've been pretty motivated to learn all I can from her. Mama is a master knitter/crocheter. I wish I could show you a video, but she is a speed machine when it comes to her fingers. For most of my crocheting career I have only made scarves and I literally only use one or two different stitches and just use different color yarn to make each scarf look different.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to learn this difficult pattern that Mama was trying to show me. In fact, I was so hopeless that I was just hoping that she would crochet at least one more scarf with this pattern thinking that at least it would be one more memory I have of her.  I am so proud (clap clap clap) to say though that yesterday I learned this pattern and these scarves I'm sure will be in demand.  Place your orders everyone.=)  Pictures of my first finished scarf (with this pattern) will soon be posted.  Give me a few days.

No comments: