Tuesday, January 25, 2011

New Ingredients

Oh wow, it's been quite the month so far.  Some things that have made life exciting?  New things! I've decided that it's important to try new things, and in my opinion new ingredients add some nice spice to life!

Chinese kids do not eat feta and I have never thought to buy it UNTIL a few weeks ago.  I barely know how to use it, but it's just exciting to have something new and seemingly gourmet in my fridge.  I'm used to Kraft Singles American Cheese so exploring feta has been great. We made our very own greek salad a few weeks ago. Who knew you could make greek salad. sigh.. the things I learn.

The other ingredient I chose this past week was collard greens.  I didn't really know what they were. I'd heard of them but never tried them and now I kind of know why. They taste like bad bitter vegetables, which kind of works for me, but they sure don't go in salad or with oyster sauce that well.  But I guess that's what you get for trying new things.  Collard greens, just like feta are not what typical Chinese kids eat. Apparently it's a southern dish.  I'm happy to have been introduced to a new green though.

The grocery store is like my mall. So much fun...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Bel, you crack me up sometimes! Nich and I both love trying new things, and since we both grew up in a myriad of cultures, we have been exposed to all sorts of foods. But I have to say, I haven't ever tried collard greens. He probably has, though.

Thanks for sharing your food adventures!