Friday, December 31, 2010

Today's blog is completely dedicated to my grandpa.  Most people connect New Year's to Dick Clark, but I connect New Year's and New Year's Eve to Yeye.  His birthday was January 1st and so as people count down to midnight and are partying it up, I always think of my grandpa around this time.  He would have turned 99 tomorrow, and although I had hoped I could brag about Yeye making it to 100, he did make it to 98 and I'm thankful for that.

Interestingly enough, the night before Yeye passed away, I was in our living room telling Kevin that I thought Yeye could qualify for hospice, meaning he had "6 months left to live".  When I told Kevin that he exclaimed, "Are you kidding? Your grandpa isn't going to die soon. He's going to live at least two more year." He was so strong for his age, like the iron man of life, so much so that I thought and I'm sure others thought might live forever.

I miss my grandpa and have missed him throughout these past few weeks alot, but today I really really miss him. My dad asked me on Christmas what I remember most about my grandpa.  There are so many memories, especially considering that he was one of my housemates for 20+ years.  The thing I remember most though is that he loved me a lot and I was very very special to him.  Of course there are other memories, but that was the message I got throughout my 27 years with him.  Here are some of the other memories:

New Year's Eve - When we all lived together, my sisters and sometimes my cousins even would count down with Dick Clark to midnight and right after we yelled "Happy New Year!" we'd stampede up the stairs to my grandpa's room and give him a big hug and kiss and wish him happy birthday.

Checkin up - This past year Yeye would often call me to check up to see how I was doing with school and everything.  It's nice having someone check up on you often.  I'd use a lot of energy to talk extra loud so he could hear me, but he would call at least once a week and tell me if he missed me and of course, he ask me when I was coming to visit next. He told me that if I was busy, not to visit, but I'm glad that I never listened to him and visited as often as I could. My friend Sooz told me in college that "Friend are always more important than homework," so I use that same principle with Mama and Yeye.

A little sweetness - The reason Ye and I got along so well could have been the fact that he always had sweets on him. He had a stash of Snickers and chocolate and cookies in his room and I was highly supportive of that.  He believed in sweets and classics like Snickers and Coke and he valued the power of sugar.=)

I guess part of growing is experiencing the reality and truth of life...that people don't live forever, things fall apart, and we need God.  I'm sad to not get to see Yeye and wondering when I'll see him next, but I thank God for so many good friends and family, much laughter, and an excitement for life as I wake up each morning.  God has been sooo good to me.

2 comments:

Cleverly Changing said...

This is such a beautiful post. I am so glad that I stopped by. You were so blessed to have spent many wonderful years with your grandpa. I have spent so much of my time thinking about trivial things you have reminded me that family matter most. My mom and sisters always ask about you. You made a big impression on their lives. Love you and happy NEW YEAR!

Win said...

Beautiful. Happy birthday yeye To! The stampede must've been a sight to see