Saturday, November 27, 2010

I cannot believe how much shopping I have done recently.  I've treated it as a study break/early graduation celebration for myself.  This is what you get when you decide not to go to graduation! Instead of spending money on a really ugly oversized flowy gown, I decided to buy some new things to look nice=).  As someone who lives off of handmedowns, I really do feel like I'm spoiling myself.

I had a great Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend.  In fact, although I still have work to do, I decided that I was not doing ANY work this weekend. How good that feels!

This Thanksgiving was really quite different. It was the first time in a long while that I did not run the Turkey Chase. Do you know how much money it costs to register this year? Yes, another reason I don't feel horrible for shopping.  It was different though waking up a little later and not getting my endorphins going like I ALWAYS do on Thanksgiving morning.  What I love about the Turkey Chase is that it reminds me to be thankful for the healthy body God has given.  This year I feel like it was just as important. Reminded me to be thankful for a healthy body and I guess to be thankful for just being alive.

This past Thursday was also the first Thanksgiving without my Yeye. When you've seen someone alive for your entire life, it makes sense why it's so traumatizing seeing them still, and really with no life at all.   I thought this Thanksgiving would make me really sad, but I really had a great time and think it made me even more thankful to have family. I still really miss him though.   And what makes me the most sad is when I realize that I really won't see him anymore.  People keep comforting me by telling me I'll see him in heaven soon. Soon?  Looking at my genes, it'll be another 60-70 yrs until I see my grandpa again.  That doesn't sound like soon to me.

I took another 1 hour and 15 minute walk in remembrance of Ye Thanksgiving morning in place of the Turkey Chase. That was refreshing.  It helped me see more into Yeye's life actually and how much solitude, peace, and fresh air he must have gotten when he went on his daily walks.  Two years ago, Yeye was actually considering walking the 2 miler for the Turkey Chase at 96 years.  Can you believe it? The only thing that kept him from doing it was that at 96, he had his own schedule and there was no way I was going to get him up early enough to eat and be ready to walk at 8am.  I always think how cool it would have been if he could have done it. He totally would have put so many people to shame. He walked at least two miles every day I'm thinking.  1 hour and 15 minutes...Everytime I ran the race though, Ye would always laugh because years ago when I first started running the Turkey Chase, I told him how at the start line, the Turkey is on a car, and then once the race starts, it is driven away before anyone can even chase him. Ye would always crack up about this.  Again, in memory, here's a picture from my sister's wedding about 10 years back.  I can't say I've seen my grandpa make this face ever really, but it made me laugh. Love it!

1 comment: