Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Working Refrigerator

Our refrigerator has not been behaving.  In the past week, the door of the fridge or freezer have not closed properly and we've had all our food from both compartments melt to their death TWICE.  And in the past year, it's happened a number of times as well. Thankfully, Sears is coming next week to check everything out. 

In the meantime, I have never been so thankful or felt so assured coming home to find that our refrigerator was not open during the day.  This morning on the way to work I literally said a prayer for my Kenmore that it would stay closed the entire day.   I just bought groceries two days ago and I do NOT want to buy more!  On my way home, I started to worry again and came to the realization that I will for the first time be thankful for a refrigerator when all this is fixed and done.  I've never been thankful for my refrigerator, but as I thought about it, I quickly became thankful for that old crummy poor looking fridge we had growing up.   Hey, as ugly or "unmodern" it may have looked, it worked.   All I have to say is that if this is a lesson God's trying to teach me, to be thankful for my fridge, it sure is weird.  Maybe appliances don't get the credit they deserve?  The appreciation? Who knows...I'm really still confused.

The things I forget to appreciate though. I just read in BBC News about how music is being banned from the radio stations in Somali.  The Somali radio stations are afraid of Islamists militants and so have complied with the Islamists' wishes to ban music from the radio.  To add to this first wish, many Islamist militants are banning watching films and football too.  All this real news makes me really glad that I can listen to Shawn McDonald right now and that although I have only one channel, I can watch television anytime I want, without having someone ready to knife me or threaten me.   And while the freedom to watch films and listen to music and to watch football seems like something so reasonable, I guess it isn't.  


No comments: