Saturday, April 3, 2010

Back to the Alma Mater


Went back to Houghton for the annual field hockey alumni tournament.  This time, Kevin came along!  It has been about six years since he saw his alma mater and although they say Houghton is in the middle of nowhere and people allude to the fact that nothing is in Houghton, we found our time easily occupied exploring the places we know.

It was my second time in FOUR years visiting Moss Lake.  Kevin wanted to go there.  It was so peaceful and quiet.  I hadn't been to any body of water that was so serene. Serene, pristine, calm, peaceful, that would describe this lake.   Every place I have gone especially recently like Great Falls, Niagara Falls, Lake Needwood, Ocean City, they've all be beautiful, but when you look into the water you hear the water and then you also hear the sound of cars, people talking, planes flying by, etc.  Just about 40 minutes at Moss Lake was pretty much like heaven.  A peaceful quiet haven moreso.  Everything was so still, except the catfish squirming  around in the water and the calm current in the lake.  The trees were swaying quietly back and forth and it was soooo beautiful.  I couldn't worry about one things while I was there.  I can't believe I only went there once while I was at Houghton!

The tournmanent was fun as always.  Carrying your stick again, seeing good friends and playing with your old teammates (some new alumni=)) is always a sweet feeling.  Notice I did NOT include "major soreness" into that listing.  Oh yeah was I sore.   Most importantly,  while we did not win all our games, we did improve with time.  Hey, for not playing together for years or ever, and playing against some real youngins who have been practicing quite a bit, I was satisfied with our play.  Can't complain.  Next year, we'll win it back!  Cheers to my fellow "oldies".

No comments: