Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Bought a Fish

The new thing I did last week was buy a fish.  That's one thing I've never done before.  Something courageous I'm proud of and something that to me was a little nervewrecking.  How do I choose the fish? Do I have to get it myself? What do I tell the fish people? How do I know what is a good fish?

I actually went to Lotte, a Korean supermarket, not to buy fish, but ginger, veggies, and oyster sauce, and then I felt called to the fish section. After all, Kevin really likes fish, but because I don't know how to buy one, I've avoided all omega 3 fatty acids for dinner since we've been married.  Hey, I'm spoiled and my sister always bought the fish.

So after standing in front of the fish counter for about a minute and walking back and forth looking at these big funny looking dead fish laid out side by side, I decided to try and buy a fish, to do something fun for the day, something a little daring.  Tilapia is the fish we always used to eat at home so I decided to play it safe and just choose a tilapia, Of course, I had no idea what I was doing, and while I did seem to catch on a little to what those around me were doing, I still had no idea what I was doing. So I chose the tilapia sitting on top, picked it up with probably really dirty tongs and put it in this red basket which I placed on the top of the counter.  After standing there for another minute, I realized that all the Hispanic men and the Korean man behind the counter didn't do anything with my fish and attended to other customers before me.  Apparently, I put the basket in the wrong place. Who knew??!  Anyways, eventually one of the fish men took my fish weighed it and then asked me a series of questions about the cut, the cleaning, etc.  At first, I thought the guy didn't know very good English and that's why I didn't know what he was saying.   "Yes, yes, yes, thank you!"  I answered and nodded, as if I had some idea of what he was talking about.   When I went home and took a look inside my fish bag, I realized that my fish was cut up in many pieces, instead of whole, but who cares. I still got my fish!  And I tried!  Yeah for trying new things.

On a side note, I was very proud to have run Pikes Peak 10k this past Sunday and to PR this time! I've never run under 50 minutes and with a good friend's help, I got my time and am now pumped for another race.=)

No comments: