Thursday, July 22, 2010

Clutter and mess

Time feels like it's flying lately, but I'm enjoying life and finding exciting new things often.  Last Saturday, Kev and I were driving on a familiar road about a mile or less away from home when we saw this road that veered off the main road. We always just drive by but that day we decided to do something adventurous and take a detour down that road!  It actually led to a nature center in our area and interestingly enough to a cemetery as well. As we kept on driving, we discovered a nice little getaway in the community that we thought we knew really well. There was huge mansion, I'm not sure what it was used for, with beautiful grassy fields surrounding it. Someone was even getting married there. We even discovered a new park with tennis courts that are literally about a mile away from home.  It was beautiful and a huge piece of land I never knew about.  Doing things like that keeps my life from being too boring. Sometimes I drive different ways home just to get away from mundane habits in life.

Bird by Bird

I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like, but I've been dying to share this great quote from "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lammott.  The book is about writing and about life, but when I read this quote, it reminded the OCD side of me to just let go more often.  Here's a quote to all you perfectionists and for those of you who need everything to be nice and neat, the 2nd paragraph is for you:

"I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping stone right, you won't have to die.  The truth is that you will die anyway and a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it."

"Besides, perfectionism will ruin your writing, blocking inventiveness and playfulness and life force...Perfectionism means that you try desperately not to leave so much mess to clean up.  But clutter and mess show us that life is being lived... Tidiness suggests that something is as good as it's going to get. Tidiness makes me think of held breath, of suspended animation..."

That's quite a challenge, huh? Updates on our anniversary still to come!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Bird by Bird" is one of my favorite books on writing. I think it should be required reading in every writing class. I quite enjoy Anne Lamott much of the time, although some of the things she said in "Plan B" made me throw the book across the room at one point. :~)